History

Central Sydney is often referred to as “Eora Country”, the name given to the coastal dwelling Aborigines around Sydney. Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal tribes of the Eora.  With European occupation of the Sydney region from 1788, the Cadigal and Wangal people were largely decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today.   

 

FAB, aka Belgrave Terrace, dates from the early subdivision of the Riley Estate. It is a good example of a Victorian Terrace with substantial Edwardian alterations.  

 

The first land grant of 100 acres on Wolloomooloo Bay was granted to Commisary John Palmer in 1793. Palmer was a successful farmer and grazier holding the position of Commissary until he was called to London to face an enquiry into the Rum Rebellion. On his return to Australia Palmer sold his Woolloomooloo holding to Ann Riley. Subdivision of the Riley Estate commenced after the death by suicide of Edward Riley in 1825.

 

The FAB site was bought and built on by builder John Carney in 1858.